Thursday, September 6, 2007

- DIVERSITY: Class conversation, facing bias

  • In class, sitting side by side with an long hair aboriginal adult student and discovering self bias

- I have noticed you walking downtown. You are always there...sometimes combing your long, shining hair. So how long have been around cities?

- Always. I am from South (Canada). But I worked in the US too. I was told I am Algonquian.

- Oh, so you have never lived in the bushes?

- No

- I see...What were you doing in US?

- I like to travel.

- I mean, what was your job there?

- I was a baker's helper.

- You have two names...one is aboriginal, right? So I thought you had lived in a reserve.

-No

- But you have been in the bushes, right?

- Oh, Yes. I am always.

- Ah. And what was the longest you have been in the bushes?

- Well maybe a day... because sometimes I get too drunk so I sleep there




No comments: