Tuesday, September 4, 2007

- METHOD: Exclude absent students

a) They wished me luck
Student 1: When I got pregnant, the teachers and school staff were not mean to me: they congratulated me.
Student 2: Did any teacher or school staff offer any options so you didn't have to quit school?
Student 1: No, they just wished me luck...I didn't ask for options though; I didn't think about it...there was too much happening, you know?

b) Registering the absences

(English grade 11 and 12 were together in a classroom, some students work on an educational website and others on books)

Student 1: During the grade 12 English course, the teacher never gave us feedback. We just sat there and fulfilled the book. Most of the time she didn’t come to class, she just sent a gym teacher. “ I am just a substitute”, he would answer when a student asked him to correct homework
Student 2: What did he do?
Student 1: He sit and read his stuff..ah, he called our names to register the absences. We can not miss more than four classes but he let us go home early...


No comments: